Puppy Nursery Attendant
Lions Foundation Canada Guide Dogs
Breslau, ON, Canada
Lions Foundation of Canada Dog Guides of Canada (LFCDG) has a great opportunity for you to start
making a difference! We are currently searching for an Attendant in the Puppy Nursery!
The Puppy Nursery Attendant is responsible for maintaining a high standard of care for all breeding
dogs and puppies housed at the LFCDG breeding facility. This is an active working position, cleaning
kennel areas and observing canine medical and behavioural changes to report to the necessary staff.
This is a physically demanding role requiring the majority of time spent standing, walking, lifting, and
bending in all weather conditions. The Puppy Nursery Attendant will foster a positive and productive
work environment, and support a team that can deliver on the assigned work and initiatives. As a
member of the breeding program team, the Puppy Nursery Attendant is responsible for creating and
communicating task outlines, and working collaboratively with other team members and departments
to ensure the wellbeing of the dogs. Professional canine care knowledge and experience are preferred.
• Casual dress
• Dental care
• Disability insurance
• Extended health care
• Life insurance
• On-site parking
• Paid time off
• Vision care
• Uniforms provided
What You Bring
Who you are:
• Knowledge and understanding of dog care needs, canine health and diseases and basic veterinary care.
• Ability to effectively administer dog health treatments.
• Knowledge and understanding of small animal husbandry.
• Knowledge of environmental enrichment programs to maintain good mental health in all dogs in their care.
• Good dog handling skills, especially with larger breed dogs and groups of dogs.
• Ability to perform various health and care procedures such as grooming, bathing, basic health checks and nail trimming.
• Knowledge of dog nutrition and weight maintenance.
• Good understanding of dog behaviour.
• Professional, compassionate and understanding when working with both people (staff, vets, volunteers and the general public) and dogs.
• Physical stamina to handle large dogs, heavy loads (dog food, etc.).
• Flexibility with work hours: the attendants will be required to work irregular hours including evenings, weekends, and holidays.
• Current Ontario driver’s licence.
• Work schedule with current role: 11:30 AM – 8 PM Tuesday – Saturday.
We want to hear from you if you have:
• Minimum high school diploma.
• Education in an animal care field an asset, e.g. Veterinary Technologist, Veterinary Technician, veterinary assistant.
• Experience working with dogs in roles such as dog sitter, vet assistant, dog walker, boarding kennel
attendant, dog groomer, animal control officer or obedience trainer.
• Other college or university degrees in animal husbandry, genetics, or reproduction is a bonus.
• Personal or professional experience working with assistive technology and/or accessible environments is considered an asset.
• Vulnerable Sector Police Background Check required.